Top 10 benefits of Early Orthodontic Care
Posted on January 17, 2023
Are you looking to get orthodontic care for your child? Early orthodontic care can provide a number of benefits and help your child avoid orthodontic problems in the future. In this article, we will discuss the top 10 benefits of early orthodontic care. We will also answer some commonly asked questions about orthodontics so that you have all the information needed to make an informed decision.
Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of skeletal and dental irregularities. Orthodontists specialize in diagnosing and treating malocclusions (improper bites) which arise from problems with teeth or jaw alignment. It is recommended that children receive orthodontic care from an orthodontist by the age of 7, as this is when orthodontic problems can be most easily detected and treated.
10 Benefits of Early Orthodontic Care
1. Improved oral health: Early orthodontic treatment can help improve dental hygiene by straightening teeth to make brushing and flossing easier.
2. Reduced chance of gum disease and tooth decay: Straightening teeth can reduce the chances of developing cavities or gingivitis due to easier access to brushing and flossing.
3. Fewer orthodontic problems in the future: Early orthodontic care can help prevent more severe orthodontic problems in the future.
4. Correct jaw alignment: Orthodontists can correct jaw misalignment and improve facial symmetry to help your child look their best.
5. Better speech development: Early orthodontic treatment can help children speak clearly by correcting issues with teeth placement or jaw alignment that might otherwise impede speech development.
6. Improved self-confidence: Many orthodontic treatments, such as braces, are designed to be aesthetic enhancements as well as orthodontic corrections – improving a child’s self-confidence both in appearance and dental health.
7. Reduced risk of tooth trauma: Orthodontics can reduce the chance of teeth being damaged due to irregularities in the mouth, such as overlapping teeth or misaligned bites.
8. Improved chewing and biting: Orthodontic treatments can help improve the ability to chew food properly by correcting jaw alignment and bite irregularities.
9. Easier orthodontic treatment in the future: Early orthodontic care can make it easier to treat orthodontic problems in the future as they have been detected early on and addressed proactively.
10. Cost savings: By catching orthodontic problems early, you may be able to save money on orthodontic treatments as many potential issues can be corrected with simple and less expensive treatments rather than more drastic measures taken for advanced orthodontic problems.
Early orthodontic care is essential for the dental health of your child and can help prevent orthodontic problems in the future. With a range of benefits from improved oral health to cost savings, orthodontics is an important step in helping children maintain healthy teeth and gums.
Q: At what age should my child see an orthodontist?
A: It is recommended that children have their first orthodontic evaluation by the age of 7 as this is an optimal time to detect orthodontic issues early on.
Q: How long do orthodontic treatments take?
A: The length of treatment depends on the severity of orthodontic issues and the type of treatment being used. Generally, orthodontic treatments can take anywhere from 18 months to 3 years depending on the individual case.
Q: Are orthodontic treatments painful?
A: Orthodontic treatments such as braces or aligners may cause some discomfort during adjustments, but it is usually minimal and temporary. Your orthodontist will provide additional information about any pain that may be experienced with orthodontic treatments.